A Decent Steering Damper for the 1290

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: Newcastle
Year: 2014

Re: A Decent Steering Damper for the 1290

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:18 pm

Changing the standard 1290 steering damper to a thicker grade oil.

1.Remove the damper

2.Remove the circlip (non eyelet end) and spacer. As well as the glued on silver rod end cap.
1290 damper 1 circlip.jpg
3.Pull the eyelet end all the way out, add a few drops of oil to the other side damper body (circlip location point, non eyelet end) then holding the damper body carefully but firmly tap the eyelet end down all the way trying not to bottom it out. The seal should pop out under pressure, as well as all the end bearing and old oil. If not repeat previous step until it does.
1290 damper 1 In tray.jpg
4.Rinse the old oil out with a splash of new oil (10w,20w,40w depending on required stiffness) then fill up the damper to the top and slowly pump the rod in and out until all the air is expelled, place the end bearing back in. Using either a syringe or other means draw some oil back out until the end bearing is barely covered in oil (this is very important, as it determines weather the seal will be able to be pushed back in or not)

5.Push the seal back into the damper to meet the end bearing, (if it won't push in at all, make sure you removed enough oil from previous step) if its close, place the spacer on to check how far it still needs to go in.

6.I found that using an old method to bleed out the excess oil/air from under the seal to drive it home all the way, is to fold a plastic type of currency note eg Au$20 etc or very thin feeler gauge between the rod and the seal lip, (be very careful not to force anything or the seal may be damaged) slowly turning the note/feeler gauge around while pushing the rod down. If done correctly you should see more and more oil gathering around the rod shaft and possibly some remaining air. Remove the note/feeler gauge and try to drive the seal home again, repeat this process over until the seal is located back into place.
1290 damper 1 Final oil blead.jpg
7.Replace the spacer, then the circlip. Glue or lock-tight the silver end cap back onto the rod end.

8.Check for leaks and operation, then re-install the damper.
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

bodypilot
675cc
675cc
City: Irvine, CA
Colour: Black

Post by bodypilot » Fri Apr 03, 2015 5:41 pm

You are awesome - thank you for an excellent write up.

I really appreciate it!
Akra Ti system,Ohlins TTX shock,GP Racing cartridges,Rottweiler intake,Dynojet PCV/AutoTune/Ignition/POD300,BST Carbon Rims+Ceramic,Pirelli Supercorsas (200rear),Brembo T-drive Rotors,Vesrah Pads,Brembo RCS17 master,Recluse clutch,RC8 selector, Tyco hoses

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:37 pm

bodypilot wrote:You are awesome - thank you for an excellent write up.

I really appreciate it!
No problem, I'm glad to be able to contribute 8-)
From the 1st crawl to the very 1st step to the 1st ride, the rest is history...The evolution of the motorcycle enthusiast.

NewyKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by NewyKTM » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:24 am

Went for a good ride today and the damper mod works great :D
This is how the standard one should have came, car-park maneuvering is unaffected and feels nice, late heavy braking is much more stable.
Its good enough for me to leave it that way and has got rid of that annoying nervousness in the front (especially doing wheelies)

Though, if you don't mind the look of a damper up top, then I would say its NOT a replacement for the Scotts (if you just need to have one) It's the ultimate in progressive speed sensitive dampening and cool if you like to have choices for riding style, Scotts wins but for the low cost of some oil alone and around 25min out of your time than its definitely a very worthy mod.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Fri May 01, 2015 9:08 am

Just been released on their web page today, best get your ‘pre orders’ in as we are the first to know. Have been told shipping date will from 20/5/15 :D

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ro ... duke-1290/

bodypilot
675cc
675cc

Post by bodypilot » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:02 am

I got lucky and they must have shipped mine on Friday. Got the install done in half an hour. Amazing quality of design and parts. The Scotts unit is a lot smaller than I remember last time I saw one and is not obtrusive at all - it looks more than it is in the pictures.

Once the sun comes up tomorrow I hope to be out on one wheel ;-) :?: :?:

Akra Ti system,Ohlins TTX shock,GP Racing cartridges,Rottweiler intake,Dynojet PCV/AutoTune/Ignition/POD300,BST Carbon Rims+Ceramic,Pirelli Supercorsas (200rear),Brembo T-drive Rotors,Vesrah Pads,Brembo RCS17 master,Recluse clutch,RC8 selector, Tyco hoses

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:59 am

Looks good mate can't wait for mine, I know Chris was let down by the anodizes looks like the first batch is coming through.

Akalnoky
250cc
250cc
City: Pomona

Post by Akalnoky » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:35 am

Just fitted my Rotty damper kit. As expected from Chris and the team the product arrives well packaged. Inside is all the hardware needed to fit the brackets. Nothing left to chance, even a small tube of anti seize! The quality of the brackets and Scott's damper are first class. Mounting is easy and if confused there are detailed instructions on the Rottweiler website. I had a short ride after fitting and first impressions are good. I like the flexibility the Scott's unit offers.
image.jpg
image.jpg

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 am

Fitted mine today, what a great piece of art everything fitted like a glove, such fine tolerances amazing work, I was a little worried about my CNC triple clamps but no problems with the bars in the rear & forward positions on the Triple clamp. Adjusted the steering stops & trimmed the key cover trim by 2mm on edges + front & all when well as per instructions all sorted in no time.

Will take it for a ride soon just waiting on my new ABS rings to come back from machining.

Saw 183 rear wheel HP on the Dyno that I use on my mates 1290 today, that was after the ignition was remapped, Full Akra, Rottweiler air box, 80 stacks, PCV, that is 10 more HP than I have, I best get the 1290 back on the Dyno with the ignition module.

dan 1290
125cc
125cc
City: Montreal
Year: 2015

Post by dan 1290 » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:56 pm

kevxtx wrote:Just been released on their web page today, best get your ‘pre orders’ in as we are the first to know. Have been told shipping date will from 20/5/15 :D

http://www.rottweilerperformance.com/ro ... duke-1290/
It's been removed from their website, I wonder why ?

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:12 am

Chris told me at the moment the supply of the lower bracket, there were 2 cases where the lower bracket came close to the tank & he has needed to machine some slots in the lower brackets to make them adjustable, seems the fuel tanks are longer by a few mm on some of the models. Mine fitted like a glove no problems with the standard bracket.

They will be up for sale very soon once Chris has the brackets adjusted & back in stock.

dan 1290
125cc
125cc
City: Montreal

Post by dan 1290 » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:28 am

kevxtx wrote:They will be up for sale very soon once Chris has the brackets adjusted & back in stock.
Good to know.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:07 am

Had some time in the saddle today with this damper kit & it is amazing, it just swallow's up those rutted uneven corners, I thought this damper would be good but it has surpassed my expectations & made my bike feel so much more tighter in it's handling.

With all the extra HP to my rear wheel this damper does help with the front wheel landings.

I would definitly put my neck out & say this is a great mod for those looking to improve the handling on their 1290's

bodypilot
675cc
675cc

Post by bodypilot » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:33 pm

Could not agree more. I have 500 miles on mine and it's really sorted the flightly moments out better than any damper I had in the past. Really solid unit and tons of adjust-ability. That said I found the setting I like and have left it alone since. Don't even think about it now.

Solid upgrade.

or626
125cc
125cc
Model: SMT

Post by or626 » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:31 pm

I bought this kit recently and it came with extra lower bracket with elongated holes, but it wasn't needed as the original bracket fit perfectly, just needed a little adjustment on steering lock stops.
Beautiful piece of kit, well worth the money getting it shipped over to the UK, even after HM Revenue took their 20% and held it for 2 weeks at customs :evil:

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Mine also fitted straight on with round hole bracket, I only needed to adjust my steering stops by one turn of the bolt, so the steering damper does not really affect the steering stops in a parking situation.

Shmee
125cc
125cc
City: Victoria
Year: 2016

Post by Shmee » Sun Jul 24, 2016 11:58 pm

Kicking this back up after a year...

How is everyone liking their Scotts or other dampeners choices?
Have any of the people who opted for something other than a Scotts Dampener switched to a Scotts or something else?

How are the Rotty mounts holding up?

What settings on the Scotts mount are people running and for what kind of conditions?

This is pretty much next up on my list of stuff to buy for the bike, as we have an retarded amount of tar-snakes around my parts and the bike gets really unsettled on them mid-corner with the stock dampener.

I'd love some detailed feedback as I am sure many others would as well.

Cheers

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:34 am

The Scotts damper worked great for me, it was removed off my 1290 when I sold it.

wsmc99
675cc
675cc
City: San Diego
Year: 2010

Post by wsmc99 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:02 pm

Properly set up bikes don't need steering dampers!
Stop spending money on shit you don't need and learn about chassis geometry. :idea:

Silent singer
Supporter
Supporter
City: Norfolk

Post by Silent singer » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:35 am

I'm afraid I have to disagree. If you have a lot of trail to make it stable then it handles like crap and is difficult to turn. If you want something with a steep steering angle to turn quicker then it's wise to have a steering damper for high speed stability. Even Rossi's M1 has a steering damper.