KTM 690 SD SMC 2012>

General discussion and rants..
kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

KTM 690 SD SMC 2012>

Post by kevxtx » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:08 am

Anyone got a 2012 onwards KTM 690 SD or SMC with CAN Bus protocol, the old ones are like our bikes Kline which Tune ECU can work with? I want to work with you to get a smoother ride, I already build my own O2 controllers that changes the square wave signal from the O2 sensor to increase fuelling in the closed loop map for Yamaha, Aprilia & Kawa's + adjustable fuel mods that can adjust the A/F ratio manually, as there is nothing out there to tune these bikes & want to give it a go, need a new challenge? :D Would be nice if you live in Brisbane but not to important.

kevxtx

Re: KTM 690 SD SMC 2012>

Post by kevxtx » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:31 am

Thanks to Jeff for taking the time for me to test my 2013 690 mods. No one has invented this mod yet :D this forum is the first to hear about it,

Why do we need this O2 controller, there are no Power Commander or O2 Optimizers & Tune ECU does not connect to the new generation Can bus data systems, so the Kevxtx fuel + O2 contoller mod is born, this mod will help with the surging in all map modes.

There are 2 sides to a fuel map, closed & open loop circuits. A Power Commander or any other type of fuel mod can only adjust the fuel map in the open loop, the open loop circuit is when the ECU sees sudden acceleration, any RPM above 4500rpm & all throttle openings over 20%, cruising or not cruising. The closed loop is used for emission control, it comes into effect after a coolant temp of 70 degrees C, when the ECU sees a constant throttle opening of below 20%, the ECU takes voltage readings from the O2 sensor & will lean the A/F ratio out until it sees a A/F ratio of 14.7:1.

The resistor type Eliminators do not work on our modern day bikes we have proven this & you can't just unplug the O2 sensor & ride it you need to control the out put voltage from the O2 sensor to ECU.

The ECU constantly looks for 0 to1 volt square wave signal, by unplugging the O2 sensor & fitting a resistor it sends a constant voltage signal to the ECU, after a few Min's the ECU see this as an corrupt signal & then constantly switches the A/F ratio up & down, in this state the bike is not tuneable. This mod is not a resistor type mod it controls the square wave voltage signal from the O2 sensor to the ECU, the O2 sensor has to be connected for this controller to work.

By controlling the closed loop circuit we are able to reduce the surging when you are cruising, with one of my latest O2 devices when the ECU switches between the open & closed loop circuits the transition is much smoother as the A/F ratios are closer to each other, see table below.

Closed loop A/F ratio = 14.7:1 Tuned by the O2 sensor no O2 controller mod fitted is to lean causes surging, when switching from closed loop 14.7:1 to open loop which is normally around 13.4:1 you can feel this surging at cruising speeds.
Closed Loop A/F ratio = 13.6:1 Tuned by Kev's O2 Controller, now with the switching between closed loop 13.6:1 & open loop 13.4:1 the bikes surging is greatly reduced.
This O2 Controller mod can be used on a completely standard bike as well any 690 with extra filters & pipes, can be used with one of my adjustable fuel mods which is still in testing I am waiting on the plug & play connectors.

The O2 Controller is only part of the equation to reduce the surging but is one of the most important ones in reducing the surging. A good fuel map for open loop tuning + a good chain & sprockets correctly adjusted & no free play in the rear sprocket holder rubbers.

If anyone wants one PM me for full details your bike has to be a 2012 onwards KTM 690 Super Duke? I am waiting on confirmation on the 2012 > SMC's wiring.

kevxtx

Re: KTM 690 SD SMC 2012>

Post by kevxtx » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:47 am