50cc
50cc
City: Prineville
Year: 2015
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Noob with a question

Post by nsrrider » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:04 pm

Well, I pulled the trigger and picked up a 1290 SA from Performance Cycle in Tucson. Got a good deal but had to part with three nice motorcycles to get it. Rode some of southern AZ with a buddy on his 1190 and put on the first 800 miles, with about 200 of those on some of the AZ BDR routes. Love the bike, very fast and versatile. Love the big tank and electronics. I think it may be a better "sport bike" than off-road bike but it does navigate some pretty rough 2-track pretty well, something my last sport tourer could never have done. Anyway, my question: Does the traction-control have to be "off" to wheelie the bike? My understanding is that the SA does not have "wheelie-control", only traction -control to prevent the rear wheel from spinning up on hard throttle. Only complaint at this point is the side boxes/latching mechanisms are really balky and cheap feeling.
IMG_3500.JPG

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014

Re: Noob with a question

Post by JJay51 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:16 pm

The side box latches just need some lubing up, whilst not top quailty they are functional.
As for wheelies, you an get the front wheel up but the TC will prevent you from probably getting higher than about 6 inches, ive had the wheel up about that much in sport mode under hard acceleration off a roundabout so it does come up :mrgreen:

nsrrider
50cc
50cc
City: Prineville
Year: 2015

Post by nsrrider » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:15 pm

will lube em up and try that, thanks........can anyone explain to me why the traction control limits the attitude of the bike (like having the front wheel way up)? I get that it prevents power spin of the rear tire, I just didn't know it was somehow sensing where the front wheel is. thanks!

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011

Post by Muppet » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:13 pm

It's probably detecting the difference in rotational speed between front and rear wheels, and if it's too great, it'll cut in and limit the power, hence no wheelie.
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com