OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2014
Model: SMT

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:50 am

Bit about me: My name is Kris and I've enjoyed riding 2 wheels for years. I work for a large Consulting firm as my day job however my passion is motorcycles and tinkering with them. I am not going to bore you with the whole history, but over the past 5 years my energy and knowledge was poured into a Second Generation 2009 Yamaha VMAX. $32K AUD Bike + 25K AUD in modifications later I reached my goal. It is now time to embark on a new project so I bought the 1290. I wanted something with similar power, torque, riding position and a better handling and fuel milage. Enter the SuperDuke.
1.jpg
This is my First KTM and I though I should capture my modifications in a single thread.
With this bike I will be closely following Kev's advice and the added bonus is I get to capture questions and his wisdom
Hopefully it will also help anyone else that needs help if they chose to go down this path

Exhaust: Akrapovic slip-on with a de-cat system

Sure I could have gone down the Full system path and I do like the idea of loading a map directly into the ECU, however I also know that those maps would be conservative and I wouldn't be happy with them for our Australian conditions, would be paying a lot for the name and $/performance ratio is not good enough so I decided against it. In addition I knew I would be contantly tweaking my setup with an addition of the DNA MK3 airbox down the line and I would eventually still need to buy some sort of piggy back system. So I saw no full value in the Akro system at that price.

Instead I went with the Slip-on with a de-cat system. I was originally going to buy the Wings slip on, but I got a good deal on my Akro pipe when buying the bike so I went with that instead. I also had race stickers at the time which said Akro and it would look a little silly with a WIngs exhaust on there. :lol:

De-cat system: I decided to go with The Bodis de-cat pipework.

I was looking for a system that will produce most torque and in theory longer pipework and x-pipes produce more midrange and down low power. This is where most of us spend 90% of our time on the street so this is important to me. The system is buit in Germany and the quality seems good. Its lights and fit is quality. Although I did have to enlarge the holes that mount the metal cover slightly to make them fit

System is nicely tucked under the bike and provides that sleeper look. Lots of weight savings over the stock cataytic converter box
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 4.JPG
I ordered the PC V for the 1190 Adv togather with the AT-300 Auto-Tune and I stripped the bike down getting it ready for an install.
While I was stripping things down I:

- Removed the SAS system and installed some blanking plates
- Polished the Headers in visible areas
- waiting ofr the bungs to arrive to install 18mm bungs as OEM bungs are 12mm only
- Installed a Scottoiler E-system to keep the chain happy as I mostly do street and track riding. I bough it from our local distributor who is Canberra based (http://scottoiler-aust.com.au/). I recommend them highly as their shipping and service was great.
photo 5.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 1.JPG
photo 2.JPG
photo 3.JPG
Bike is now in pieces and I am waiting for my PC V and AT-300 to show up to put her back togather.
Stay tunned for more.

In the mean while if any of you are going to cover some major kms and spend more than 5 days on the road you might need some bags that can carry enough to make the trip. Not I am not a fan of top boxes, bags, etc ... especilly on a beautiful bike like the SD, however sometimes its function over form for me as I do like my creature comforts.

I've used the Ventura (New Zealand made) luggage system for years and their stuff works. You can get them from Kenma Australia (http://www.kenma.com.au/motorcycle_bags.html) if interested. Fits easily on any bike and comes off in seconds when you arrive at your overnight destination. Its good to be able to bring your stuff inside overnight quickly (trust me on that) especially when its wet outside.

I recently did a 2,700kms trip on the SD and found this system to work great.
I could carry 47L in each bag, and I didn't even know the bags where there. When I arrived at the destination and needed to hit the twisty stuff, the bags came off in seconds and I fitted little grab handle instead so I can have some real fun
photo 7.JPG

SADUKE
250cc
250cc
City: Cape Town
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Kris's Modification list

Post by SADUKE » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:14 am

Hey Man awesome progress so far, Keep up the work and pictures', I see we are all in the same waiting boat, All waiting for the PCV to arrive, Mine is already ordered and paid for I Already have the AT300 but still waiting on the PCV to be delivered, so guess it's keep quiet and wait.

mintpaul
500cc
500cc
City: Brisbane
Colour: Black

Post by mintpaul » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:15 am

Hey Kris,

That is exactly what I was thinking with the exhaust, going with a slip-on and decat vs the Akra full system.

I had a Hypermotard and went with the Decat, slip-on and PCV with custom tune and the tuner said he did a full termi system with PCV custom tune and there was only 1 hp difference. Between 2 different bikes.

I would love to know your thoughts on the loudness of the bodis decat with the akra slip-on?

My hyper use to get on my tits after a few hours with the under seat system and that wasn't loud, more deep compared with my mates diavel with the cat gutted which is a bit obnoxious.

I have been pulled over for speeding a couple of times on my hyper and the cops never even mentioned my pipe.

I quite like the slip-on with baffle removed and cat still in place level of loudness. (getting old)

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:29 am

SADUKE wrote:Hey Man awesome progress so far, Keep up the work and pictures', I see we are all in the same waiting boat, All waiting for the PCV to arrive, Mine is already ordered and paid for I Already have the AT300 but still waiting on the PCV to be delivered, so guess it's keep quiet and wait.
That's what happens when we are in the bleeding edge so to speak.

Good news is few of us are certainly not novices in the process. My package is in the country and now just waiting for the package to clear customs. Should have it Monday/Tuesday probably.

I will take some pictures during the install, but I think Kev covers it off well and there is a YouTube video on it already.

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Thu Jul 10, 2014 6:33 am

mintpaul wrote:Hey Kris,

That is exactly what I was thinking with the exhaust, going with a slip-on and decat vs the Akra full system.

I had a Hypermotard and went with the Decat, slip-on and PCV with custom tune and the tuner said he did a full termi system with PCV custom tune and there was only 1 hp difference. Between 2 different bikes.

I would love to know your thoughts on the loudness of the bodis decat with the akra slip-on?

My hyper use to get on my tits after a few hours with the under seat system and that wasn't loud, more deep compared with my mates diavel with the cat gutted which is a bit obnoxious.

I have been pulled over for speeding a couple of times on my hyper and the cops never even mentioned my pipe.

I quite like the slip-on with baffle removed and cat still in place level of loudness. (getting old)
Paul,

If I was worries about the cops I would be installing an inline cat, but I am not here in Victoria. Well not yet anyway, but I am sure out state will soon follow.

I can't give you a truthful answer as I am yet to ride it the way it is. Idling it sounds good to me, but I like noise and it's music to my ears. I turn 35 this weekend so maybe I will change my mind once I cross over to the dark side.

My VMAX was a V4 and way louder 1700cc monster.

mintpaul
500cc
500cc

Post by mintpaul » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:01 am

I'm the same age at 35, and I don't mind a bike with noise just not over the top.

In Queensland you have to get up real early, to beat the heat and the police on a few of the local spots.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:35 am

Great thread Kris let the modding begin. :D

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Post by OZsuperduker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 9:24 am

Today I spent some time wiring. I operate lots of accessories on my bikes and often have a need for switches and electrical components such as relays and other little things that come with the territory.

I tend to need power upfront for my Phone/GPS/etc ....
I need to power my heated clothing in winter
I like having the ability turn things on and off as I please.

So a trip to my local Jaycar was in order to pick up some supplies. I always buy more than I need in that place. Like a kid at Christmas
Anyhow below are some pics of today's installation.

The single red switch will be used to toggle between maps on my PCV on the go and to switch on AutoTune as required while building maps
IMG_2920.JPG
IMG_2924.JPG
IMG_2928.JPG
IMG_2923.JPG
IMG_2921.JPG
IMG_2930.JPG

mintpaul
500cc
500cc

Post by mintpaul » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:33 pm

I think you need a job at KTM with that switch gear

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 2:45 pm

ImageImageImageImage

Wiring now complete. All working as it should. They even glow at night ;-) I've turned off one of them to show the contrast in the photos

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:55 pm

Are the switches water proof?

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:33 pm

kevxtx wrote:Are the switches water proof?
Yes Kev, Industrial grade outdoor IP67 or IP68 I believe from memory.

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:15 am

Today I got the stuff I ordered from Chris at RWP. Top bloke and really good to deal with.

So I got going on the installation of all three things. Bungs, autotune and PCV. I took my time and made sure wires are correctly routed and in conduits. Install looks rather clean

All went very smoothly I must say with help from Kevin's posts. Not much left to guest work. Had to come in for the day today so haven't had the chance to program the devices yet. Just turn in autotune and enable HW switch

Tomorrow will bring some tuning. Updated firmware and she is ready to go. Just need to build my AFR tables and calibrate my TPS

Here are a few pics of today's install

I must say its great to have the bike back in one piece. Too much down time for my liking

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:53 am

Great work, once you have had a play with the mapping pull those snorkels out & tell me what you feel, I know the answer. I have Emailed you todays PCV/Auto Tune map.

Robuck
125cc
125cc

Post by Robuck » Mon Jul 14, 2014 11:38 pm

I have to say I'm at a loss for words after reading this, between you and Kev, you guys have done some amazing stuff on these machines. You guys should start up a part time workshop!!

After reading all this information I can safely say that getting a new map on the Duke is something I would like to do, but mine will have to wait a little while.

Thanks for all the info!
I bought a Duke.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:53 am

I am only just starting on my mods. :D

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Kris's Modification list

Post by OZsuperduker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:16 am

Thanks Robuck. When one is helping another, both are strong!

Success to me was always a journey and not a destination and only those that dare travel far enough will find out how long the road really is.

I am always happy to be out front by taking calculated risks as Kev has put it nicely in one thread.

Today was another productive day. Yesterday saw me put the bike back together successfully yet today was all about getting the fruits of my labour.

Today was about getting back on the bike and finding out if it was worth it. All I can say is holy shit! I truly have found the beast in this bike and I am yet to clear her throat with the custom airbox

Day started off not so well as I got some weird error on my PC V. Something that I never saw before. Yet funny enough everything worked fine. Few emails to Kev throughout the day and I was on top of it. Turns out My PC V didn't ship out with the latest firmware for some reason and what I should have done is install the PC V software directly from the website as opposed to CD that was included with the kit.

Note to those of you doing this, please install latest PC V software and firmware right from the start

I enabled Autotune and the switch and set some basic parameters and I was good to go. After 5-6 15 minute rides my bike feels perfect already. No flat spots, no hesitation, no jerkiness, I am impressed how much smoother this already factory smooth twin can be

I am getting less vibration through handlebars, bottom end under 4k rpm is also smoother, power just keeps on coming and it never seems to stop to the limiter.

I turned on my logging on my LCD-200 So I can trace the AFR through the rev range and it's pretty good. Will try and post results

All in all very productive first day running the bike. My trims in autotune are practically 0 now with minor tweaks in some areas

Couple of pics showing AutoTune trimming as you ride

By the time I was done my AFRs were where au wanted them to be

I will try to post some videos (quick) ones to show it in action. Stay tuned

Thank you to Kevin today for prompting me to think about some 101 stuff I should have checked to begin with. Cheers mate, owe you some beers when I am up your way for work

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:26 am

Nice work it is worth it in the end my bike is so much smoother than before, are those trims tables off my map I sent you or based off a Zero map?

OZsuperduker
500cc
500cc

Post by OZsuperduker » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:49 am

Quick Youtube videos taken by iPhone.
Sounds totally different in reality, but is all you get with iPhone audio

Http://youtu.be/VAhx7XiE1Jo

http://youtu.be/RmtPu3lRBMk

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:55 am

One thing I forgot to mention if your fuel gauge stops working & keep flashing after the fuel tank is removed, it will sort it's self out after a kms riding & revert to the correct level.