guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Year: 2014
Model: SMT

Re: Front brake issue

Post by guzzi4v » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:43 am

5150 Pops wrote:Thanks for the response.
I'd imagine the shipping time would be somewhat similar to your country as to the USA if it came from Austria.

How long did it take for it to arrive, since that last post it's been nearly a month, and like you I bought but not yet received some Brembo HP 5.5mm rotors, but then I saw your post about improper machining and was like.....Faaaaack!
The wheel was 2-3 weeks getting to the dealer. It's the other issue that's slowing things down at the moment. I'm sure the stock rotors would be fine with a good wheel.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Post by 5150 Pops » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:54 am

Yeah but I think my right rotor is warped, and has been since 100 miles on the clock on the way home from the dealer after initial sale. Figured the rotors were shit, until I read your post that mentioned off square machining of one of the mounting holes. Got me thinking I should take the wheel off and check thoroughly before trying to install the new rotors, and if it is like yours, bring it to the dealer for warranty.

guzzi4v
Supporter
Supporter
City: Bundaberg
Model: SMT

Post by guzzi4v » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:30 am

For sure. My first rotors were toast.

nautilusway
50cc
50cc
City: Kameruka

Post by nautilusway » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:22 am

guzzi4v wrote:I am waiting on new front wheel as we speak. I had my discs replaced under warranty; things improved slightly for a while but the problem was still there. I purchased a set of upgraded Brembo discs that float more easily because I was tired of it. The bolt holes on those discs were indented and had tighter tolerances revealing the problem to be the disc carrier holes in the front wheel being drilled off centre. This was causing the disc to warp when it was tightened onto the wheel.

Another little problem was revealed at the 30,000km service. The camshafts are scuffed requiring new ones. I won't go right into this at the moment until the dealer has done all their investigations and can say what exactly is going on. I'll start a thread when all is clear.

At the moment I have no issue with the behaviour of the dealer and the distributor. They have acted on both these issues. (it did take action from me for them to understand the front disc issue though).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hitman
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne

Post by Hitman » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:11 pm

Ah yes .... My front brakes catch the rotor also - only noticeable at very very slow speeds and monoeuvering around the garage - dealer said they have tried to fix the problem in the past and no success - only slight but did indicate the floating disc was the cause - it's not a big deal on my 1290 - maybe I'll try really hard breaking - thought I already did that - but it's not getting any worse 12000 kms done
Life is short.... no one is irreplaceable....everyone is disposable..... work hard....enjoy life.....

vernonbc
250cc
250cc
City: Vernon
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by vernonbc » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:20 am

I also had dragging brakes on the rotors and it drove me nuts. I only noticed it when I was pushing the bike around the garage. I looked up some info on "breaking in" brake pads and decided to replace the pads. Can't remember what I replaced them with but I think it was EBC or something like that. When I took the old pads out they were unevenly worn in the front not so bad in the rear. I think it has alot to do with how we break in our brakes. Use this as an opportunity to clean up the calipers as well. I also read that it is a good idea to put some hi-temp copper anti-sieze on the back of the pads, the part that the piston pushs against. Apply it very very thin.

The info I found on bedding in brake pads was the following and it also solved my dragging brake problems

After installing new pads front and rear ride the bike normally but try not to hard brake or panic brake. Apply the brakes gently (no hard braking) for at least 300 miles (500km). If you do a lot of city riding then you could probably reduce this number. After gently applying brakes for about 300 miles do 10 sessions of hard braking. Speed up to 60 mph then brake hard to 20mph. Do not come to a full stop. I did this 10 times and my dragging brakes are gone gone gone.

JDS1290SDr
675cc
675cc
City: Edmonton

Post by JDS1290SDr » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:42 am

^^ Do U recall if the New pads were dragging right after U installed them? There could be something to the break in method. But theres also a lot of us getting rub with the initial setup.
Mine rub on slow roll. I feel them in the garage, when I am backing up, & sometimes pulling up to a stop. I cant complain about how either of the brakes work. Front are great, back are ok.

Having said that. Brembos on another bike of mine had 2 pistons on one side of the caliper pushed way in(may have been seized) which caused uneven wear on the pads.
A good inspection & cleaning is a good idea.
PRESENT STABLE
2015 Black SDR
2010 450 SXF
2010 450 XC-W Six days
2010 Ducati Multistrada
2010 Victory Cross Country
PAST
Way to many to mention

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010

Post by Gimlet » Thu Sep 22, 2016 9:13 am

Mine is up to 7500 miles now and the front brakes have stopped rubbing. Don't ask me why. Pads are worn in but certainly not worn out.

vernonbc
250cc
250cc
City: Vernon
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by vernonbc » Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:02 am

When I first purchased my 2014 the bike was ridden home in the rain (3rd new bike ridden brand new from the dealer in the rain). The pads were not dragging when I pushed the bike into the workshop. They did however start dragging after the first few rides, about 100km, and never stopped after that. I did not change them out till about 14k km.
When I changed out the pads for new ones, I did clean out the calipers and I also gently pushed in all the pistons on the calipers and cleaned around them, just to make sure. When the new pads were installed, they did drag lightly for a bit then they eventually stopped after using the recommended 'bedding in' procedure I pulled off the web.