donjulio
50cc
50cc
City: Bogota DC
Year: 2011
Colour: Silver

seat and other comfort stuff

Post by donjulio » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:59 am

I'm planning on traveling from Colombia to Argentina in Dec, and I'm considering doing it in a new KTM 990 SMT. I'll do it with my girl.
So, by this time I don't have this bike, but what I really want to know is if this motorcycle is comfortable enough for this looong and exhausting trip.
I'm sure this bike is great, but I'm worry about the comfort. I don't want to realize in the middle of nowhere that it's literally a pain in the ass.
Any advise or sugestions?
Thanks-

Guy Jinbaiquerre
250cc
250cc
City: Tokyo
Year: 2009

Re: seat and other comfort stuff

Post by Guy Jinbaiquerre » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:44 am

It depends on you. Some people can ride the SMT for 1000's of miles with no problem, others (like me) find the seat on the hard and narrow side. You need to find out for yourself how you like it.

My recommendation is to try a few shorter rides, like day or weekend trips, before emarking on your mega-bigass tour. If you have a sore butt or back after a shorter ride, you know you'll need an Airhawk or a custom seat or something for the really long hauls.
IBA #42657
SM-T Owners' Club Japan - http://www.smtocj.org
2000 BMW R1200GS Adventure ・2009 KTM 990SM-T (sold) ・1997 Honda X4 ・1995 Kawasaki ZZR400 (sold)
"Even the most amusing quotation gets old fast."

donjulio
50cc
50cc

Post by donjulio » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:59 am

I used to ride in a Vstrom and this bike is very comfortable. Normally, in long trips, I ride about 2 and half hours and rest 15 minutes (hydratation, snacks, etc) before the nex t 2 hours.
For all the research I've been doing, I suspect that I'll need some xtra help. Like you say, maybe Airhawk.
You think that this Airhawk stuff would be god enough? And good enough for pillion?
Thanks for the advise!

weston
125cc
125cc
City: Boston
Year: 2010

Post by weston » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:54 am

I did 450 fun miles through Vermont in two days of 90 degree weather a few weeks ago and didn't have a problem. Of course I was riding solo, so depending on how "resilient" your lady is, it could be risky to the relationship to start on such a long trip without at least one pretty revealing trial run. In a word, I agree with Guy's recommendation.

donjulio
50cc
50cc

Post by donjulio » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:24 pm

weston wrote:I did 450 fun miles through Vermont in two days of 90 degree weather a few weeks ago and didn't have a problem. Of course I was riding solo, so depending on how "resilient" your lady is, it could be risky to the relationship to start on such a long trip without at least one pretty revealing trial run. In a word, I agree with Guy's recommendation.
Yes. You are right.
Probably, I'll begin with short trips, like a half day or something. Then a weekend, and then 4 days in a long weekend. I'll let you know guys how it will works, and I'll make my comparison with the espxerience in my old bike ( a DL 650 VStrom).
Thanks.