990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Avon 3D ultra sport

Post by Thirdway » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:13 pm

Had a pair fitted today. £228 ride in ride out, balanced.

Look far more sporty than the PR3s and slimmer, very Pirelli. Got 130 careful dry miles on them around Yorkshire. Gradually exploring the edges but not yet got them right over as there is still a bit of shiny stuff and I don't want to tempt fate.

Initial impressions are of something similar to the Dunlop sport smart. Very neat handling and good confidence. The bike feels lighter on its feet and more precise. Turn in his quick and accurate. They give the impression of nice squidgy grip but without the shuffling apparent from the front of the PR3s. It's nice to lose that awful habit the PR3s had of hugging white lines and grooves. Now I can cross lines and the bike goes where it's pointed.

There is a long sweeping roundabout just of the motorway which gives a good account of the different tyres I've used throughout the years. The PR3s are the only direct comparison and the difference is stark. Where the PR3s would resist hard lean to the edges, there is no such reaction from the ultra sports, they just lean and lean and are fantastically stable. The PR3s always had an odd squirrelly feeling at the edges. They didn't let go, but they certainly were producing a feel that told me not to push much harder. Of course, I don't know what the Avons will do on the limits, they are a far more sporty profiled tyre and capable of going several degrees further than the PR3s.

So, yes, happy so far. Not anything like the Roadrunners I used to have on my KH250 :lol: have to see how the wear and more importantly how they perform in the wet. They aren't going to have PR3 wet weather grip I'm sure, but I don't push too hard in the wet.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Re: Avon 3D ultra sport

Post by Thirdway » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:00 pm

Another couple of hundred miles on mixed roads in the wet. Except for wet, metal cats eyes they grip really well and feel nicely neutral. Give great confidence and easy steering as far as I'm prepared to use them in rain and which is as far as I would use the PR3s in the same conditions.

We got some dry roads which allowed me to explore the edges a bit more. Tons of grip and precise handling. I prefer them to the PR3s as they feel far less ponderous and turn in more quickly. They feel very like Dunlop sport smarts.

So far, impressed. I'm not creeping around greasy roundabouts in the wet as I would on a pure sports tyre and am just as confident as I would be on the PR3s. Indeed I just rode the bike without considering them which is exactly how I want a tyre to be. In the dry they handle better than the PR3 and they don't shuffle about under hard braking.

Recommended if the mileage holds up.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45 am

Out for a run with wife riding pillion. Dry roads and have the tyres to the edges, tons of grip very easy handling. They suit the SMT really well. No sign of any odd wear at 600 miles. Happily buy these again. Not going back to Mitchelins.

Sibhod
125cc
125cc
City: Sunnyvale
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Sibhod » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:08 pm

Hi Thirdway,
would you mind posting another follow up on how you like the tires? I would think you would have some more wet weather experience with them now. I am shopping for tires and so far I like your description of the tires.
Thank You

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:17 pm

Probably a bit late for a follow up, but here it is anyway.

I've discovered that tyres really are a compromise. It all depends how you ride and what the bike gets used for.

I've got around 1500 miles on the Avons and will get another 500 or so. That isn't a lot of miles. What's interesting is that my love of twisty roads and throttle have eaten up the softer parts of the tyre very quickly, whilst the middle looks like new. Usually it's the other way around. So it's a quandary. These are great sports tyres, that are compromised by a harder centre tread.

It's laughable really. If you ride less aggressively and don't use the soft compound, then they will last longer, but then, if you don't use the edges, then you don't really need a sporty tyre in the first place. I ride to the edges on the road and they are faultless. They feel great in the wet, or dry and have great neutral handling characteristics. I would put them up against any other sport/touring tyre.

I'm now wondering whether to buy another pair as I really don't get the extra mileage a sports touring tyre promises, but then I will likely miss the grip on the edges. :roll: They would work great if you do a lot of upright work and a mix of hard cornering-typical for a longer tour.

In the wet they don't feel like they have the outright grip of the PR3s so I never pushed them anyway. It's more a confidence thing.

I do wonder if this dual compound is really not for the kind of riding I do. Maybe I would be better just buying something more sporty and binning them after a season.