125cc
125cc
City: Tel Aviv
Year: 2012
Model: SMT

Tires for SMT

Post by Shufel » Wed May 21, 2014 11:25 am

Hi everyone,

I'm new here, so hello to all from Israel.

I have a question, and hopefully I'm posting it one right thread.

I'm looking for a new tires for my 'baby girl' ;)

1. Any recommendations? And I care less about the wet condition performance.

2. There is an official Ktm approved tires page: http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_downloads ... 012_gh.pdf
Why is there a classification with ABS and without ABS? Are those the only comparable tires?

Thanks in advance.

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Re: Tires for SMT

Post by ogden » Wed May 21, 2014 11:56 am

If you're not worried about grip in the wet, the key question is how long you expect them to last. Do you want something sticky but short-lived, or are you happy to trade grip for endurance?

To be honest, I've been using Michelin PR3s almost exclusively since I got the bike, and I've never found them short on grip in the wet or dry (and I've pushed them hard) so I never bother looking at anything else. If you want something really grippy, I use Michelin Power Supersport on my GSXR - never tried them on the SMT (because they last about 600 miles and I often do more than that in a weekend) but they stick like shit to a blanket.

KTM publish the approved tyre list because in some countries (Germany and Spain, for example) it's illegal to fit tyres that haven't been type-approved for use on a specific model. The ABS and non-ABS bikes are different models, so they have different approval lists. If you're not in one of those countries, the approval list is irrelevant.

I've moved this topic to the SMT tyre forum for you.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by xaotikos » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:33 am

What do you think between these for the SMT:
- metzeler new M7RR
- bridgestone S20 evo
- dunlop sportsmart2

Has anyone tried any of these?
Roads here in Greece are crap which means i need a tyre that comes in temperature quick, can handle potholes and ripples, to be ok for wet and give a good amount of kms.
I have to change my original rear contisportattack after 10.000 kms!!

ogden

Post by ogden » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:57 am

xaotikos wrote:I have to change my original rear contisportattack after 10.000 kms!!
6000 miles? That's pretty good. My original lasted 3000km, and I rarely get more than 8000km from anything.
ogden

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:59 am

Crappy roads do help on that :) thats why i'm looking for a sport tyre and not a sport-touring one like pr3

ogden

Post by ogden » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:03 am

If you want something really grippy, I love the Pilot Power Supersports I have fitted to the gixer.

Not sure how long they'd last on the road, but I get a year or so from a rear when I use them for going round in circles, which is about 1000 miles of very, very hard use.
ogden

r0bb0mc
500cc
500cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2012
Colour: White

Post by r0bb0mc » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:43 am

Just my 2 cents worth about tyres for SMT.

I do a lot of commuting, weekend trips and occasional long distance trips. No track days. Always run 32-33 psi front and rear. Done just over 51,000 km on my 2012 SMT.

I've now had OEM conti's, PilotRoad 4's, Angel ST's and PilotPower 3's. Currently on my second set of Pilot Power 3's and they have been really great, love them! I'm managing to get around 6,000 km's on the rear and just over 10,000 on the front. Even at 10,000 km, the front was sticking great and gave great feeling. I usually get some scalloping on the fronts after 5,000km but the Pilot Power 3's haven't at all. Will be fitting an Angel GT onto the rear shortly (and keeping the current new Pilot Power 3 on the front) for a 6,000 km ride to Far North Queensland and back. There will be a lot of flat, boring highway riding so the Angel GT is better suited than the PP3 on the rear for this trip.

I found the PilotRoad 4's good for the first half of their life and then a bit rubbish for the second half.. The Pilot Power 3's seem much better in that regard. The tyre compound differences seem to great on the PR4 rear tyre, but that's just my opinion. I've had the rear tyre spinning and then gripping again once the softer compound makes contact. No such probs with the PP3's due to the softer middle of the tyre compound.

The rear Angel ST was great but I was never comfortable with the front. It never gave the confidence that a new PR4 or PP3 give when leaned right over. The newer GT footprint is different and is supposed to be much better in this regard.

Hope any of this info is helpful to someone.

Cheers guys, Rob

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:27 am

I forgot to say that i ended with metzeler m7rr and i absolutely love them. I have them on the last 2000km, they come to temperature really fast and never felt worried with the grip.

old_and_slow
50cc
50cc
City: San Francisco

Post by old_and_slow » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:52 am

Another vote here for the Metzeler Sportec M7 RR. I only have about 500 miles so far, but I'm really impressed by their stability and grip in the dry. Given the current California drought, I haven't had to deal with much wet yet ( :cry: ). My SMT had PR2s on it when I bought it used, and I've run a combo of PR2/PP2CT (rear/front) on many other bikes (VFR, FZ1, Versys) and quite enjoyed the Michelins, but at this point, the Metzelers are a bit ahead. I never get more than about 3500 to 4000 miles on a set of tires before they scallop on the edges or wear too much in the center of the rear, so if I can get near that on the M7s, I'll be a happy old man.

-Jason
xaotikos wrote:What do you think between these for the SMT:
- metzeler new M7RR
- bridgestone S20 evo
- dunlop sportsmart2

Has anyone tried any of these?
Roads here in Greece are crap which means i need a tyre that comes in temperature quick, can handle potholes and ripples, to be ok for wet and give a good amount of kms.
I have to change my original rear contisportattack after 10.000 kms!!