kennykjam
125cc
125cc
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2012
Model: SMT

Dunlop Roadsmart 3

Postby kennykjam » Sat May 27, 2017 10:06 am

Ordered a set of DR3 for my upcoming alpine roadtrip. Have had 2 sets of PR3 and wanted to try something different.

Anyone got any experience with the DR3 on their SMT? What tire pressures do you use? I ran the PR3 with 36/33 psi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Colour: White

Re: Dunlop Roadsmart 3

Postby Thirdway » Sat May 27, 2017 10:46 am

Most say to stick to standard pressures unless specifically mentioning an alteration.

As to the Dunlops, not used them on my SMT, but they should suit it if you prefer quicker steering. The PR3 are also good tyres, but it comes down to your preference for profile. Dunlops are more profiled, PR3s are flatter. There isn't much it apart from that.

Recommend the Metz 7RR which are great wet or dry and suit the bike perfectly. Mileage is around 3K rear and 6K front. You could probably eek out a few more miles depending on how the bike is used/if you aren't to fussed about the handling going 'off' as the profile wears out.

The Dunlops should give a few more miles, but likely not as many as you might imagine. Unless you buy something like the BT023 you won't see a great improvement IMO.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Postby Gimlet » Sat May 27, 2017 1:15 pm

I ran a couple of sets of Roadsmart IIs on my SMT before switching to M7RRs. Grip and feedback are both very good and they have a nice turn-in characteristic, just the quick side of neutral. Wet grip is also very good but they are slow to warm and feel wooden and nervy until up to temp. In the winter I'm not sure they ever get up to temperature at all.
RSIIs are good tyres that suit the SMT very well but with a chassis that sweet you will soon find the edge of the tyre in spirited riding which is why I switched to M7RRs. The Metzelers have superior outright grip. They bite the road and feedback is excellent. Turn-in is quicker but not overly aggressive and they make the bike feel light on it feet rather than knife-edge. They are even better in the wet than the Dunlops and only a few hundred miles behind in terms of longevity. In fact I'd say the Dunlops are more prone to flatting off than the Metzelers, which I used for a week of touring and they performed perfectly.
Roadsmart IIs are great tyres but for me, if you keep to twisty roads and avoid motorway slogging and pillions the M7RRs are an even better do-it-all tyre for the SMT.

I ran M7s and RSs at slightly under manufacturers pressures: 39/34.

kennykjam
125cc
125cc

Postby kennykjam » Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Thanks for the info

I was actually looking at the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 but that was crazy expensive so I changed to my second choice when placing the order with the garage which was the DR3. They are supposed to be a big improvement on the DR2. MCN, Motorrad and other online forums gave them very good reviews.

I guess I'll start with 39/34 PSI like Gimlet and see how it goes !!

Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Colour: White

Postby Thirdway » Sun May 28, 2017 10:47 am

The roadtec is a flatter profiled tyre, in effect a Pirelli Angel. My mate just wore a pair out on his Tracer 09 and they wore only slightly better than the 7RR. They are also a more comfortable tyre than the 7RR if you don't like the constant road telemetry of the sportier tyre. He is swapping out to a pair of RS3s because he got a great deal on a pair-though, he was close to buying the 7RRs because of the 2:1 fronts to rears.

Big improvements are very difficult these days. It really comes down to the riders/motorcycle profile preference. Sports touring/sports rubber have now almost aligned in performance terms with the higher miles, more comfortable tourer end giving very little in performance terms against the sportier end. Likewise the sportier tyres give up little in cold/wet grip/wear to the tourer end but give only a modest improvement in stability/ feel.

I wouldn't get too hung up on the differences between the roadtec/pr4/dr3 as they pretty much perform identically. The differences are only in the profile feel, nothing else substantive. As long as the tyre gives you confidence, then any are as good as the other. Indeed the older PR2 is almost as good as the PR4, as the RS1 is to the 3. Even the evergreen 023 shouldn't be neglected-it's a higher mileage tyre with a sportier profile that manages more miles without losing its shape whilst losing only marginally in damp grip (the trade off is that it feels less secure on alternating damp/wet, but actually gives a massive margin of feel over its actual grip-in other words you get bags of warning that grip is marginal without getting anywhere near the point).

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Postby Gimlet » Sun May 28, 2017 5:43 pm

Just avoid Metzeler Z8s. They caused terrible bar-wagging on my SMT.

The 01s seem to have universally good write-ups with very good wear and wet grip characteristics - something which I think does vary between brands in a tight sector. Some are more prone to squaring than others and some some can be scrubbed back into shape easily while others are very stubborn. Bike suitability is a factor there as well and that's something you have to find out for yourself.. Some tyres suit some bikes more than others, as with my experience with the Z8s. They were excellent on a Speed Triple I used to have, but dreadful on the SMT.
Performance longevity isn't always a constant either. I've generally found most Metzelers are very good at maintaining their performance to the limit of the tread (allowing for the slowing of the profile as they wear) but I always seem to have an issue with Pirellis having a noticeable drop in performance during the second half of their life.

Personally I do think sports touring rubber has moved ahead of the Michelin PR range. The latest Metzelers and Dunlops are better IMO but its a close-run thing and tyre confidence is highly subjective. If you've had a heart-stopper with a particular tyre even if it wasn't the tyre's fault, no amount of science is going to remove the doubts thereafter.

I'm minded to try the 01s on my standard 1190. the Conti Trail Attacks are pretty good but they are dual purpose tyres and I only need pure road rubber, and I've heard very mixed reviews about wet performance. Trouble is there aren't that many pure road tyres to choose from with that 19" front wheel. The 01 is Metzeler's designated tyre for the 1190 and its in no way a trail tyre, just tarmac. I'm intrigued to try it out. I so wish the 1190 had 17" cast wheel both ends so you could fit pure sports tyres. That would make a brilliant handling bike epic.

kennykjam
125cc
125cc

Postby kennykjam » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:44 pm

750 km update on the Roadsmart 3s, all dry weather riding on the dykes of North Holland.

I love the the RS3s so far. Running them at 38/34 PSI. They feel great on the bike, plenty of grip. The best feature in my opinion is the significantly quicker turn-in in comparison to the PR3s. It gives me so much more confidence in my cornering and low speed manoeuvres. Off to Slovenia in a couple of days to start a 10 day tour, guess that will be the acid test but so far so good ...

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Postby Gimlet » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:52 pm

I'm 1700 miles into a pair of Roadtec 01s on the 1190.
They're a good tyre. I would say they beat the Roadsmart IIs on both wet and dry grip by some margin. They do seem to have a slightly harsher ride though. Stability is good but I'm not sure the Trail Attacks weren't better. But there's not doubt the 01s have more grip. They're a shallowish profile like all sports touring tyres and yes you do find the edge pretty easily but there's more to play with than the Contis can offer and you can feel the bigger and stickier footprint when cranked over.

I'm not dissatisfied with them but I'm going to try the Roadsmart 3s next.

kennykjam
125cc
125cc

Postby kennykjam » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 am

4500 km update in the RS3s. My alpine trip took me through Austria, Slovenia, Italian Dolomites with some of Germanys best B Roads and Autobahn for the return trip. All sorts of roads, surfaces and some unplanned gravel roads and countless hairpins. Mainly dry weather, one hail stone shower(ouch). Anyway, no issues with the tires, confidence inspiring, grippy, smooth, wearing well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Tyres”