990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
mindless
125cc
125cc
City: Stockholm
Year: 2009

Re: Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Postby mindless » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:42 pm

Kev tomorrow i will try your new TuneEcu map.
When you say increase the fuel you mean like this?

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Postby kevxtx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:25 am

Update July -15-2012, TuneECU 2.3.2 now Released
Note:
* Minor bugs in the version 2.3.x in Tests mode fixed :
- No refresh for the main meter (Keihin & Sagem)
- Walbro Power Control light inverted.

Spark01
250cc
250cc
City: Brabant
Year: 2010

Postby Spark01 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:18 am

mindless wrote:Hi everyone at the KTMSMT forum my name is Daniel and i live in Sweden. I want especially say hi to kev and thank him for the guide to make a real beast of the KTM SM. I have made a lot of the mods kev done in your guide. First i tried to get the bike less on/off on the throttle with TuneEcu but didn't get any positive results. So now i have installed a PVC and got a serious tuner here in Sweden to make a customized PVC map.
I was choked when he said he got out 115hp on the rear wheel and when i tried the bike it was still on/off on the lower rpm as it were before.
I will take picture of the dyno chart and please comment if you see something wrong with it....
My bike: KTM 990 Supermoto 2009
*SAI,SAS,EPC,O2,2and throttle are turned off and physical removed
*Sc-Project slip-on
*2-and throttle system completely removed
*CPR FAB Rottweiler Intake System
*16T front spoket
*98RON
*PVC
*Throttle handle tube mod
When the bike were tuned the ecu hade the akra 2011 mapp

115hp... that isn't much mine is getting with the CPR box 123Bhp.
But again not every bike is the same but a BHP of round the 120 is reallistic.
What is see is that the airfuel is round the 12,8.. the ktm likes more a 13,2-13,4 for the power output.
So it is a bit rich.

My map is on the first page if you like to try it.
But i got RC8 stacks and the O2 enabled (The O2 give it a good milage 16-17 l/km).
Make also sure that the throttle bodies are good sync'd and the TPS is set correct.
Good luck

mindless
125cc
125cc

Postby mindless » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:05 am

Sorry forgot. I do have the RC8 stacks mounted

My bike: KTM 990 Supermoto 2009
*SAI,SAS,EPC,O2,2and throttle are turned off and physical removed
*Sc-Project slip-on
*2-and throttle system completely removed
*CPR FAB Rottweiler Intake System
*16T front spoket
*RC8 stacks
*98RON
*PVC
*Throttle handle tube mod

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:04 am

mindless wrote:Kev tomorrow i will try your new TuneEcu map.
When you say increase the fuel you mean like this?

Yes that is correct, I would ride it first before you make any adjustment to the map so you can make a comparision.

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:06 am

Spark01 wrote:
115hp... that isn't much mine is getting with the CPR box 123Bhp.
But again not every bike is the same but a BHP of round the 120 is reallistic.
What is see is that the airfuel is round the 12,8.. the ktm likes more a 13,2-13,4 for the power output.
So it is a bit rich.

My map is on the first page if you like to try it.
But i got RC8 stacks and the O2 enabled (The O2 give it a good milage 16-17 l/km).
Make also sure that the throttle bodies are good sync'd and the TPS is set correct.
Good luck[/quote]

I agree, don't worry to much about the overall HP reading as all Dyno's read differently. It is the before & after runs results I always look at.

I get 16 to 17 KMs per litre of fuel with the O2 sensor turned off.

mindless
125cc
125cc

Postby mindless » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

Quick question before i take the bike for a ride with your new Tuneecu map kev.
When downloading it to the bike should "Use F trims for all F tables" be checked or unchecked?

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:04 pm

mindless wrote:Quick question before i take the bike for a ride with your new Tuneecu map kev.
When downloading it to the bike should "Use F trims for all F tables" be checked or unchecked?

There are no trims in the F trim tables so it will not make any difference ticked or unticked.

I am fine tuning this map on the L trims up to 1799rpm from tomorrow using my digital vacuum gauge, I will update my latest map later in the week.

mindless
125cc
125cc

Postby mindless » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:33 pm

Ok nice one kev. I have now downloaded the new Tuneecu 2.3.2

I open the Kev RC8 Stacks 13.7.12.PCV IMPORTED and downloaded it to the Ecu.
But then when i under "ECU" click on "Read Map"o confirm that the new map downloaded ok i get this map info?

This is a old map and in the upper left corner could say Kev RC8 Stacks 13.7.12.PCV IMPORTED ?

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
City: Hong Kong

Postby Nickhk » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:56 pm

... good question about the "upper left corner could say Kev RC8 Stacks 13.7.12.PCV IMPORTED ?" Ive just uploaded the map and I get the same ... but it must be loaded because the difference in 'performance' is obvious.

Trouble is when measuring the 'difference' is that half the time I might be imagining things ... plus I normally ride off after one or two bars on the temp gauge but tonight I did the 15 minute reset, switched off and then rode straight off - did the warming up make a big difference?

The biggest difference for me was the almost complete lack of 'engine braking' in second gear when snapping off the throttle - I'm sure that wash't there before! Overall it feels more responsive with a bit more pull - much more eager to pull when the throttle is twisted. There was less of the slight hesitation that was there before - it seemed a bit hesitant at 3,000 rpm and below ... (not that I should be in that area of the rev counter very much, I know!) Sorry, not an expert and not the most expressive write but it did just feel "better"!

Or did zeroing the PCV map make a difference with more of the Tune ECU being allowed to take over the fueling?

Or am I just talking boll*x? Probably but I stand by the assertion that it feels better!

Cheers Kev.

Nick

ROL99
250cc
250cc
City: Moedling
Colour: Silver

Postby ROL99 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:05 pm

Hi Nick and mindless,

when you import a map to the ECU, it allways shows the basic KTM map in the ECU info, in your harcopy it is the 2011 KTM Acra map, all changes or additions you make are not shown in the info for it takes the map information from the hex-file and not from your filename.

So, if TuneECU displayed the advanced download you will be fine and the new map will be in the ECU.

To my understanding don`t forget the 15 min. ini run.

@mindless, did you test it straight as uploaded by Kevxtx or did you add the mentioned F-trim of ?? percent?

Take care
Roland

P.S. I tested Marks stage3 map that I imported to the 2011 Acra map and after adding 4% through the f-trimm values ist runs pretty fine, just a very little stalling when on constant rpm at about 3000 to 4000 revs, running ROZ95 fuel hiere in Austria.

Kev, I am thinking of wether add another 1 or 2 % or trying your new map, that, compared to Marks stage3 map (with the added f-trim values), is a little richer in the lower revs and in some parts leaner and then richer again in higher revs. Btw. as well added 4% by the f-trim values in your map.
From the setup, it is close to Marks setup, just staying with the standard exhaust due to the fact on Highscores dyno the difference to after market exhausts is negligible.

Kev, any ideas from your side as you set up your map with a DNA filter, if I am correct.

Thank you
Roland

mindless
125cc
125cc

Postby mindless » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:20 pm

Now i'm home after a 4 hour test ride with kev`s new map. The bike has newer been this smooth. And just as nick sayes the hard engine brake are gone. Still there are some on/off throttle on the lover rpm but i think it can be hard to get rid of. Big v-twin with a lot of power from 1% throttle are hard to tame.
Rol i just downloaded kev`s map with no changes. Did a zero map in the PVC first.
About the TPS-reset i read this from Tune ecu page and there were a few thing i haven't heard before:
Reset Adaption only KTM
990cc models SD, SM, and Adventure:

The 990s must be on the center stand, and are thus stand vertically. For SD / SM models use a Paddock Stands
or the side stand with a piece of wood underneath.
The engine must be cold.
There should be the coolest possible air temperature outside, this can be very helpful for a lower fuel
consumption.
Start the engine and let it run at idle for 15 minutes. During these 15 minutes, not use the throttle or
any other functions.
The 15 minutes need to be strictly adhered to, and must not fall below. The time can only be exceeded by
a maximum of one minute.
Should the engine go out, then re-start ONLY, do not begin 15 minutes again
. (Source: German KTM Forum)

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for the feed back guys, I have mapped out the engine braking so you are correct in saying there is less engine braking. My main objective for this map was to smooth the beast out from Zero to 10 & throttle. You guys must remember Mark & my bike run different air boxes & mods so choose the closest map for your set up on your bike.

When doing the 15 min reset they say the bike should be up straight this is because of the oil pump pick up, I normally put a block of wood under my side stand.

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
City: Hong Kong

Postby Nickhk » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:33 am

Rode to work this morning and all was good - one bar on the temp gauge and then off I set.

Also noticed the 'lack of 'engine braking in 3rd, as well as the 2nd gear that I mentioned last night - I must admit that I don't have a problem with that! Much smoother all round. I didn't change any F-trim figures for now ...

I think that map's staying on the bike for now!

Thanks again.

Nick

the brown streak
250cc
250cc
City: sheffield
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Postby the brown streak » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 am

hi all, i have just fitted pcv and auto tune at 300 .do i still need to do the 15 min reset when i alter mapping? thanks Dave.
remember, god loves you..... everybody else thinks your a cxnt!

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:21 am

the brown streak wrote:hi all, i have just fitted pcv and auto tune at 300 .do i still need to do the 15 min reset when i alter mapping? thanks Dave.

Dave if you are working only with the PCV + AT then you do not need to do the 15 min reset.

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:25 am

Nickhk wrote:Rode to work this morning and all was good - one bar on the temp gauge and then off I set.

Also noticed the 'lack of 'engine braking in 3rd, as well as the 2nd gear that I mentioned last night - I must admit that I don't have a problem with that! Much smoother all round. I didn't change any F-trim figures for now ...

I think that map's staying on the bike for now!

Thanks again.

Nick

If you guys want the engine braking back I can remap it back in, once you get used to it you will find the bike is much soother on & off the throttle. What I have done & the way I have built this map no one has really done before or they have not said so on any forum.

Let us know what fuel consumption you guys are getting with this map.

One other important thing I have never really mentioned is the TPS Voltage readings between bikes when sharing maps, unlike a PCV where you can Zero the TPS with Tune ECU you can't zero the TPS but you can match the voltages, when a map is shared the TPS points need to be the same otherwise the map can be in the incorrect position & the results can be mixed. I will post the Voltage reading of my TPS tomorrow when I hook my bike back up to my PC

Spark01
250cc
250cc
City: Brabant
Year: 2010

Postby Spark01 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:41 am

kevxtx wrote:[color=#0000FF]
I get 16 to 17 KMs per litre of fuel with the O2 sensor turned off.

If i remembered correct you set the AFR to 1:14 in the low rpm's
Which provides the low consumption.

My map is tuned for performance all the way, also the low rpm's.
That why i need the O2 for a good consumption ;)

But if any user wants to use my map without the O2 he only has to uncheck the O2 ;)

ROL99
250cc
250cc
City: Moedling
Colour: Silver

Postby ROL99 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:53 am

kevxtx wrote: ... If you guys want the engine braking back I can remap it back in, once you get used to it you will find the bike is much soother on & off the throttle. What I have done & the way I have built this map no one has really done before or they have not said so on any forum.

One other important thing I have never really mentioned is the TPS Voltage readings between bikes when sharing maps, unlike a PCV where you can Zero the TPS with Tune ECU you can't zero the TPS but you can match the voltages, when a map is shared the TPS points need to be the same otherwise the map can be in the incorrect position & the results can be mixed. I will post the Voltage reading of my TPS tomorrow when I hook my bike back up to my PC

Hi Kev, for me the less breaking ist fine, I would like it as is.

One thing, you mentioned to upload a "finetuned" ;) map later this week, might it be possible until Thursday for I would like to compare it concerning the A/F ratio and, as it looks now, I will be on a dyno on Friday with the possibility to check the A/F values?

Concerning the TPS ponts, a great service as usual!!!

Thank you
Roland

kevxtx

Postby kevxtx » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:02 pm

ROL99 wrote:
kevxtx wrote: ... If you guys want the engine braking back I can remap it back in, once you get used to it you will find the bike is much soother on & off the throttle. What I have done & the way I have built this map no one has really done before or they have not said so on any forum.

Hi Kev, for me the less breaking ist fine, I would like it as is.

One thing, you mentioned to upload a "finetuned" ;) map later this week, might it be possible until Thursday for I would like to compare it concerning the A/F ratio and, as it looks now, I will be on a dyno on Friday with the possibility to check the A/F values?

Concerning the TPS ponts, a great service as usual!!!

Thank you
Roland

Pm me your Email address & I will send you the map I have tomorrow night as it is already 9pm here in Oz. The Fine tune is mainly the L trims below 1800rpm.

A custom map for your bike is the best way to get the right tune, I don't normally share to many of my maps as I know the only true way to get the bike right is with a custom tuned single cylinder map. I do feel with these 990's my maps can help as a good starting point as I found the Akra maps to be far from perfect & way to rich.

Return to “Technical discussions”