990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Post by kevxtx » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:04 am

Told you you would like the RC8 stacks, they are the icing on the cake.

I have been testing my lowered RC8 stacks for a few weeks now & prefer them over the RC8's, lower is better in my eyes.

bambadoo
675cc
675cc
City: Haugesund
Year: 2009
Colour: Black

Post by bambadoo » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:42 pm

Jensen wrote: Anyway, back to testdriving Reece's map. The first full throttle runs went great cause I kept the revs up, but once I tried a roll on from around 4k I noticed MAJOR stalling from around 4500-6500 rpms. Pulling really good all the way to the rev limiter above that, but I cant say that it pulled better than the Akra-map does.

The weather was not that great today either, the dashboard said 12 degrees celsius (guessing the mappning was made at another 20+ degrees or so... lol im jealous of your weather!) And also as I said in my last post im running 98 ron (octane) fuel.

After looking at the F1 and F2 tables there is probably a "bug/failure" in the F1 in these rpms.. at 100% throttle openings. (between 4000-6000rpms)

sakthi123
50cc
50cc
City: chennai
Colour: Silver

Post by sakthi123 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:28 am

I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the post. I am appreciating your effort.

If anyone thinks I am GAY please vote here, in fact I know I am gay so need in voting :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D you are now registered on every GAY dating site I could find, good luck on the dating scene some good looking chaps will be contacting you very soon. :D :D :D :D :D :D Spam the spamer, hehehehe love Kevxtx

Performance Exhaust Systems

Nickhk
500cc
500cc
City: Hong Kong

Post by Nickhk » Tue Jun 12, 2012 7:41 am

Oh dear :o !

Another one of 'them' postings ... :roll:

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:48 am

I think he will be busy answering some Emails from some nice blokes, I wish him luck.

bambadoo
675cc
675cc
City: Haugesund
Colour: Black

Post by bambadoo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:10 am

kevxtx wrote:For the guys that are tuning with Tune ECU versions 2.1 & 2.2, there is a reported problem with the rear cylinder tuning in the lower RPMs on the SMT/SMR 2011 map, even if you increase or decrease the numbers in the F/L maps on the rear cylinder the A/F ratio does not change on the Dyno O2 sensor.

I am not sure if this problem is bike related or Tune ECU related or the tuner is using the incorrect loaded maps, I did not have any tuning problems with version 1.9.9 or 2.0, I have not tried to tune my bike with versions 2.1 or 2.2 so can not comment on these versions.

I would advise you to use version 1.9.9 until the problem has been worked out/fixed, I have uploaded Version 1.9.9 for everyone to my 4shared account.

http://dc608.4shared.com/download/4V_Ce ... CUv199.zip

I will keep you posted when new info comes to hand.
Hi there. Has there been anymore information regarding this issue?

I have not noticed any difference in bike behavior with tuning either in v1.9.9 (thanks for that) and v2.2.

Sincerely

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 am

The problem was when the bike was been mapped on the dyno with the front cylinder in the lower RPM's, you would not feel any difference in the feeling. As far as I know they are still trying to work out why some bikes are OK & others are not.

If you are using V2.2 to load maps or turn things on or off you will not encounter any problems.

Vrednie
990cc
990cc
City: Brisvegas
Year: 2010

Post by Vrednie » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:34 pm

sakthi123 wrote:I have enjoyed reading your articles. It is well written. It looks like you spend a large amount of time and effort in writing the post. I am appreciating your effort.

If anyone thinks I am GAY please vote here, in fact I know I am gay so need in voting :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D you are now registered on every GAY dating site I could find, good luck on the dating scene some good looking chaps will be contacting you very soon. :D :D :D :D :D :D Spam the spamer, hehehehe love Kevxtx

Performance Exhaust Systems

Whoa! Did someone see where that Troll went????? Gronk keyboard gangster's thinking their funny, when all their doing is painting a bigger target on their heads. If you really are from India, Here's a little piece of advice. Try being a little more "Slumdog", and a little less "Weak Dog"......

hehehehehehe Love Vrednie
Ride It Like You Stole It

robbin
50cc
50cc
City: Chicago
Colour: Silver

Post by robbin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:57 am

nice information..l..i appreciated your effort..I would like to see more posts like this.thanks

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sat Jun 16, 2012 11:16 am

robbin wrote:nice information..l..i appreciated your effort..I would like to see more posts like this.thanks
I am getting quiet tied looking up all these dating sites for you guys.

TheFullMonty
250cc
250cc
City: Bowral
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by TheFullMonty » Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:29 am

Gents

Today, I set my F/L switch points to zero above 2000rpm and allowed the Autotune to build a map. It seemed to work, but looking at the fuel adjustments, I would not trust the map without using a dyno to check it. This needs more R&D work still, but I do not have the equipment to take this any further. I live a long way from the nearest Dyno and the map the Autotune created with the F/L switch points on standard settings seems to work perfectly. I am probably at the end of the line on this, unless anyone has any further insights.

Kev, how is your Autotune R&D coming along? Have you been able to get it to build an accurate map with the F/L switch points at zero?
Current Bikes - 2011 KTM SMT, 2012 Honda Crosstourer, 1974 Kawasaki H1
Past Bikes = 24
Correct number of bikes = N+1 (N= the number you already have)

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:30 am

As mentioned I cant get a consistant map just riding the bike with the Auto Tune running all the time, I built my map using Dyno tuning Techniques using the same road for all throttle & rpm ranges, this way I can get the map so it hardly trims the maps anymore & have left the map as is.

I have not worried to adjust the switch points to Zero on my maps for now, I have built a Auto Tune map for both cylinders over the past week & it looks fine compared to my custom dyno map, I will data log the A/F ratio from tomorrow to make sure the A/F ratio is OK.

I suspect with the A/T set to 13.2:1 it is on the leaner side, the data logger will reveal the results. I have checked my Data logger against the Dyno's CO so I know my data logger is close to the Dyno CO spec's.

Dani
125cc
125cc
City: Bolzano
Year: 2008

Post by Dani » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:54 am

Now i tryed the map by Dynojet UK (full akra with baffles), imorted the PCV trims in akra 2011 map, O2+EPC+SLS swiched off, max rpm 9900.
My bike is a SM 990 from 2008,full Akra system, BMC Filter, SAS and O2 sensors removed.
from 5000 rpm upward i note more power and torque and good acceleration, but
the engin runs irregular on constant rpm.
i will reload the akra map in the ecu.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:55 am

Dani wrote:Now i tryed the map by Dynojet UK (full akra with baffles), imorted the PCV trims in akra 2011 map, O2+EPC+SLS swiched off, max rpm 9900.
My bike is a SM 990 from 2008,full Akra system, BMC Filter, SAS and O2 sensors removed.
from 5000 rpm upward i note more power and torque and good acceleration, but
the engin runs irregular on constant rpm.
i will reload the akra map in the ecu.
An important note for everyone
Be careful importing maps into Tune ECU, as Tune ECU sees cylinder 1 as the REAR cylinder & a PCV sees cylinder 1 as the FRONT cylinder, so if you don't swap around the cylinder tunes in the PCV map before importing the PCV map you will load the incorrect tune to the wrong cylinder.

Also when importing a PCV map it only changes the F trims & will not correct the L trims unless the KTM ECU map was built with the L trims turned off below 2000rpm & then the PCV map was built.

TheFullMonty
250cc
250cc

Stage 3 Map for PCV on top of Akra map

Post by TheFullMonty » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:10 am

Gents

I am uploading my Stage 3 and final map. This is to run on a PCV when you have the Akra map in the ECU. Kev created a PCV map for his bike using his widebad commander, I then ran his map in my PCV and allowed the Autotune to fine tune the map to my mods:
Wings cans with the baffles in
BMC filter, standard air box
secondaries removed, shafts still in
RC8 stacks
SAS system removed

The tune was done on 98RON fuel. 12C degrees at 650m above sea level. 13.2 AFR.

I have accepted this map as final as I think it is as good as it gets.

For those of you thinking about PCV's and Autotune. If I were to start again, I would definitely buy the PCV. The Akra map will improve your bike, but as far as low end smooth torque, it only goes halfway to where a PCV will take you. This is because the PCV can be mapped to your bike and also affects both the F&L maps. As far as the Autotune goes. If you buy one, load the Akra map into your ECU and my stage 3 map into your PCV (or Kev's if you have an aftermarket airbox), then follow the instructions earlier in this thread on how to tune the bike with the Autotune. You will get a great result. Having said this, it would have been cheaper to get a pro to tune the bike on a dyno. Either way works. If you like tinkering, an Autotune is the way to go. If you are not a tinkerer, fit a PCV and take the bike to a pro.

That's me done with my mods.................. I think :lol:
Past Bikes = 24

Vrednie
990cc
990cc
City: Brisvegas

Post by Vrednie » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:36 pm

Tinkering is fun, but absolutely, if your not that way inclined getting a custom map done is the way to go.
Ride It Like You Stole It

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California

Post by Bootworks » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:38 pm

Since I'm having a hard time finding a tuner I contacted Dynojet about a PCV + Autotune AT-300 "plug and play" setup. Here's what they had to say:

"Put the closest available map in it, turn Auto-tune on, install all your hardware per the install guide, start the bike up and let it get up to operating temp. Go into throttle calibration. Click Reset. Snap the throttle grip to wide open very quickly and release; you can do it more than once for good measure, if you like. Click OK. If throttle position does not hold a steady zero in the main screen, go back into throttle calibration and manually set the closed voltage on the upper end of the current voltage fluctuation range with the throttle closed. Make sure your map has default target AFR values in the table. Go ride the bike. Try to give the engine as much variation of RPM and throttle position as you possibly can. Reconnect the computer after the riding session. Click “Get Map” to get the map out of it. Look at the trims. Observe where the Auto-tune has made any significant changes and how much. Accept the trims from the Map Tools-Auto Tune Tables menu. Click “Send Map” to put the new map in with the trims in the base table. Do another riding session. Repeat as necessary until you start to notice only insignificant trim values being applied (<5). At this point it is safe to say the bike is “tuned.” Save your map. You can now leave Auto-tune on as a true closed loop system or change the target AFR values to suit your personal requirements, or disable Auto-tune and/or take the sensor out to save its lifespan. To make a more economical map you pretty much just want to target a leaner AFR value in the cruise range. We find 13.8 to be a nice median between economy and performance. Anything leaner than 15 and you are going to start getting into heat issues, pinging, etc. Make sure, if your bike has a clean air injection system (PAIR valve, smog pump, etc.) pumping clean air into the exhaust, to have this system blocked off while Auto-tune is active"

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:26 am

Well, I'm on my way. Other than oil changes, chain maintenance and fitting a set of Leo Vince cans I had not worked on the SMT before. Turns out to be much easier and pleasant than I had expected, confidence inspiring. I started with a dealer installed Akro map in the ECU.
  • Pulled air box and fitted a Moto Hooligan airbox
    Removed secondary butterflies, left shafts in (those small screws holding the flies are made of butter!)
    Fitted RC8 stacks
    Pulled SAS and fitted blank plates
    Installed PCV
    Installed DynoJet Oxigen sensor eliminators ("Enhancers", they call them!)
    Attempted to install AutoTune AT-300, but found the sensors are too large to insert into the pipes. (Thread is OK.)
I'm a Mac guy, only have an older PC which I have not yet been able to get online, so I had 'Nichol's Ducati' load a DynoJet map into the PCV: 18-005-504 European model Akrapovic full exhaust - no baffles MWR air filter
Buttoned her up, it fired right up and idled well, but a FI light came on the dash.

I realize the journey is just beginning, but the first ride was rather unremarkable...in fact the bike was perhaps slightly less responsive, although just as smooth.

TheFullMonty
250cc
250cc

Post by TheFullMonty » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:56 am

Hi Bootworks

The problem with the PCV map you have loaded is that it was made for a bike with the secondaries in and also a standard map in the ECU, so it is miles away from being right. If you just ride the bike like this, the AT300 will not create an accurate map for you below the 40% TPS zone, you will need to use a PC and follow the methodology for tuning that Kev and I have written about in this thread. We both tried to use the AT300 the way Dyno Jet have designed it, but it does not work properly on the SMT/R. (it worked perfectly on my last bike, a GTR1400) Trust me on this. Kev let the At300 tune his bike, then tested the AFR's and it was all over the place. Mine was exactly the same. We messed around for weeks to resolve this issue.

If you want a closer base map, go to page 1 of this thread,click through to the PCV downloads link and download "Mark's Stage 3 Map". This has been built to run on top of the Akra map in the ECU. It was made with the same mods as you apart from the air box (just a BMC filter). The hard to tune part is at the bottom end and I suspect that the airbox will not make much difference here anyway.

Good luck.
Past Bikes = 24

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:36 am

Thanks. (Learning pains.)

Maybe able to return the AT-300 if it's futile. (Sensors don't fit anyway.)

Turns out 'Nichol's Ducati' has a DynoJet Dyno 250...Would I be wiser to have them build a map and be done?

A bit of a challenge is that I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, with the Sierra Nevada motorcycle roads nearby: One moment I'm at 200' above sea level, three hours later I'm at 10,000' MSL.

I'm a little skittish on Tune ECU for three reasons:

[*]Would have to buy a new PC (another US$500+)
[*]Don't know what I'm doing (no experience here)
[*]May fry the ECU trying to learn and salvage what I've done so far.

(What to do?) :|