Electronic Cruise control for SMt?!

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Electronic Cruise control for SMt?!

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:38 pm

Hi!

There is a thread about electronic cruise control (ecc) at another section at this forum
(viewtopic.php?f=31&t=8003)

I believe that guys who drive SD's and Adv doesn't look too often at 990 SMT section and vice versa. So I decided to put the question in the 990 SMT section as well:
I'm doing quite many miles/km's long touring with my SMt 2010, and would like to mount an electronic cruise control device to let the throttle hand rest once in a while :-)
There is an ecc device for 1050/1190/1190R & 1290 SD, and I'm thinking about if it would fit my SMT as well?
Has anyone here tried the ecc device at their 1050/1190/1190R/1290 SD or perhaps 990 SMT?
Could you tell me more about it, please!

/M

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Re: Electronic Cruise control for SMt?!

Post by eagle_awd » Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 pm

I think it only works wit ETC(electronic throttle control) or ride by wire.

Kaoko is the one I heard good things about...

https://kaoko.com/B2C/p/449315/690+Duke ... 90+R+%2f+T

jfink
500cc
500cc
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

Post by jfink » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 am

I added an Rostra Universal Cruise Control (250-1223) to my 2011 KTM Adventure 990. The servo is electronic not vacuum. I had to get creative with where to put it, and had to purchase a waterproof switch and a couple of relays and some connectors. I was getting ready for a trip to South America and knew there would be a lot of miles of just cruising along (no pun intended).

Because it is an automotive cruise control it does tend to surge a bit. The weight to HP ratio is lower and the cruise algorithm can't handle it. I did talk to the engineer who designed it. He said that they were making proprietary cruise for Yamaha I believe but that they didn't sell it. This is some work, but can be done.
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

arg
500cc
500cc
City: Biggleswade

Post by arg » Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 am

I fitted a car universal after market kit to my SMT and it works fairly well. It is a vacum kit, so the biggest issue is going to be where to put the vacum pod, mine doesnt have abs, so I sited it where the abs pump would go.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 am

eagle_awd wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:17 pm
I think it only works wit ETC(electronic throttle control) or ride by wire.

Kaoko is the one I heard good things about...

https://kaoko.com/B2C/p/449315/690+Duke ... 90+R+%2f+T
Thank's for the suggestion! I have looked at it and read some words from people who tried the Kaoko 'thing', but honestly I'm not willing to pay that much for it. It doesn't perform that good.
/M

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am

jfink wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 am
I added an Rostra Universal Cruise Control (250-1223) to my 2011 KTM Adventure 990. The servo is electronic not vacuum. I had to get creative with where to put it, and had to purchase a waterproof switch and a couple of relays and some connectors. I was getting ready for a trip to South America and knew there would be a lot of miles of just cruising along (no pun intended).

Because it is an automotive cruise control it does tend to surge a bit. The weight to HP ratio is lower and the cruise algorithm can't handle it. I did talk to the engineer who designed it. He said that they were making proprietary cruise for Yamaha I believe but that they didn't sell it. This is some work, but can be done.
-

Great information! Thank's!
How does it 'surge a bit'? In what way?
It seams to me that there is a lot of pieces which has to be attached to the bike. Don't know if I'm prepared to do all that work...
/M

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 am

arg wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:41 am
I fitted a car universal after market kit to my SMT and it works fairly well. It is a vacum kit, so the biggest issue is going to be where to put the vacum pod, mine doesnt have abs, so I sited it where the abs pump would go.
Thank's!
My 2010 doesn't have the ABS either. So could you please tell me more about where to buy it and how to install it? Maybe you have a picture or two so share?
/M

jfink
500cc
500cc
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

Post by jfink » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:05 am

Magic Wand wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:48 am
jfink wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:21 am

Great information! Thank's!
How does it 'surge a bit'? In what way?
It seams to me that there is a lot of pieces which has to be attached to the bike. Don't know if I'm prepared to do all that work...
/M
By surging I mean it the unit will "hunt" for the speed being set. Set it at 70mph and it may run up to 73 then slow to 68 and do this a few times before it actually settles at 70. Yeah, it can be some work, especially the first time. However, now that I have done it, I suspect I could put in another in a matter of hours. Figuring out where to put all the stuff was the biggest problem.
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

arg
500cc
500cc
City: Biggleswade

Post by arg » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:56 pm

Surging. I found mine very surgy to start with but realised I had too much slack in the cable. Because the difference between a car and bike is the response, engine spins up faster, bike is lighter, it will still surge slightly. You can reduce this by running a gear higher than normal when crusing, for example at 30mph, I find it smoothest in 5th. At higher speeds, it is less noticable.

Which kit would I recommend? I found a old stock one on ebay for £30, a magic speed MS300, but I only used that because it was so cheap and if it didn't work I'd of only lost £30. It is no longer available.

It does look like they do a modern version which is £131 plus postage on Amazon, a Waeco MS50. I assume this would work, the manual diagrams looks similar.

As already said, I put the main vacum controller where the abs unit would be, I cheated and cable tied it in. The control cable is very long, so I routed it towards the front, did a U turn at the headstock so it comes in the same way as the standard throttle cables. I would give you a picture of how I connected it to the throttle but I'd have to strip the bike down. Basically using the brackets supplied, I put a lever on the central spindle and a bracket for the adjuster next to the original throttle cables. I didnt use a chain. Needs to be a little slack but not too much. Be careful with tightening up the nut on the throttle spindle, I think the spindle is made of cheese, i.e. really soft. Don't overtighten it and use lots of thread lock.

The vaccum unit needs a connection to the intake, use a direct connection, do not T piece into the sensor pipes already there or you will have running issues in a hundred miles or so.

The control panel, I attached to the hand guard in front of the clutch lever. It is not water proof but I've not had any problems.

The electronic module, I stuck in the tail unit, next to the rear light.

It was sometime ago since I fitted it, the connections I remember;

Switched power, wiring to rear brake switch
Main power, battery
Brake, rear brake light
Speedo signal, direct connection to senor on front wheel, in the front fairing.

You are adapting a kit not meant for this bike, so you are going to have be creative when fitting this.

Good luck.
Attachments
IMG_1180.jpg
IMG_1179.jpg
IMG_1178.jpg

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:18 pm

Thank's for your reply and the pictures 'arg'!
Also for the 'manual' of how to make it possible to mount all the pieces.

First of; I would ONLY use the cruise at highways and not less than 60 mph (aprox 100 km/h).

The vacum controller, is it 'the thing' behind the air filter? I have original airbox mounted and there is absolutely no space at all to put a vacum control...

No need to strip the bike down just to make a picture of the control cable!

I realize it's a LOT of job to make this work on my bike... unfortunatelly. So I think I'll pass on this.
Maybe I will try to make a 'manual cruise control' in some way, after all.

/M

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by eagle_awd » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:47 pm

My bike came with Crampbuster too, but I just couldn't get used to it. You might like it.

There pretty cheap to try I guess... https://shop.crampbuster.com/crampbuster-cb4.html

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:44 pm

Hi 'eagle_awd'

That's a 'crump buster' unit, yes. I have one by myself and it is helpful sometimes.
But it's not a cruise control :-)

/M
-